We turn to this recipe when our budget is a little tight. Most of the ingredients are pantry and refrigerator staples. Other ingredients can be purchased relatively inexpensively. The DollarTree even has burritos, grated cheese and sour cream.
- 2 cups of black beans
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of EVOO
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 2 packages of tortillas
- 1 small package of sour cream
- Toppings of choice (Our family sometimes uses torn romaine lettuce leaves, avocado, olives, or cheese)
- Pre-soak or quick-soak black beans. Rinse black beans.
- Dice celery stalks and garlic. Grate carrot. Place into dutch oven with EVOO. Sweat onions, celery, carrot and garlic until tender.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, taco seasoning packet and add enough water to cover black beans sufficiently. Simmer on medium heat until black beans are fully cooked. Check often and add more water if necessary.
- Cook 2 cups of rice according to package directions.
- Mix rice and black bean mixture together.
- Serve on burritos with toppings of your choice.
Blessings from Our Family to Yours,