Please join my family in studying the Scriptures for this week’s Parashah Va’Era, which means “I Appeared”.
- Torah – Exodus 6:2-9:35
- Haftarah: Ezekiel 28:25-29:21
B’rit Chadashah (New Covenant)
- Bestort HaGe’ulah (Gospels): Luke 11:14-22
- Iggerot (Letters): Romans 9:14-33
Parashah in a Nutshell: G‑d reveals Himself to Moses. Employing the “four expressions of redemption,” He promises to take out the Children of Israel from Egypt, deliver them from their enslavement, redeem them, and acquire them as His own chosen people at Mount Sinai; He will then bring them to the land He promised to the Patriarchs as their eternal heritage.
Moses and Aaron repeatedly come before Pharaoh to demand in the name of G‑d, “Let My people go, so that they may serve Me in the wilderness.” Pharaoh repeatedly refuses. Aaron’s staff turns into a snake and swallows the magic sticks of the Egyptian sorcerers. G‑d then sends a series of plagues upon the Egyptians.
The waters of the Nile turn to blood; swarms of frogs overrun the land; lice infest all men and beasts. Hordes of wild animals invade the cities; a pestilence kills the domestic animals; painful boils afflict the Egyptians. For the seventh plague, fire and ice combine to descend from the skies as a devastating hail. Still, “the heart of Pharaoh was hardened and he would not let the children of Israel go, as G‑d had said to Moses.”
Study Aids, Children’s Activities, Projects, and Homeschool Connections:
- Audio of Torah Parashah
- YMTOI Parashah Pearls for Va’Era (Has Snack and Craft Ideas)
- Torah Explorers
- Adult Study
- Torah Class (Just choose Old Testament Studies, Exodus, and chapters 6-9)
- Video: Context for Kids – “Va’Era”
- Video: Torah for Children – “Va’Era”
- Video: G-d Cast (BimBam) – “Va’Era”
- Video: Animated 10 Commandments Movie
- Homeschool Connection:
- Language Arts – Write an essay on the Ten Plagues. Why did G-d send them? What Egyptian gods did they target? What were the plagues significance.
- Copy Work – Exodus 9:16
- Hebrew Lesson – Nun
- Art – Make a collage of the plagues discussed in this Parashah. Use watercolor, oil pastels or other medium to create the collage.
Based upon all these resources, I created this Parashah Vaera Worksheet for my children to use to study and dig into G-d’s word for this week’s Parashah.